Happy half birthday to our sweet baby girl. Half a year. 6 months. I still remember when Paisley Grace was 6 hours old, 6 days old, 6 weeks old. Now she’s 6 months old and I cannot even wrap my mind around it. (I shared some of my thoughts about that here)
These past 6 months have been the best.At 6 months old she…
– Has TWO teeth. They are both on the bottom and they are just cute as can be.
– Laughs constantly. It seems like she’s always laughing or smiling (well…except when she’s overtired). She especially likes to laugh when we are at any kind of store. Her little giggles just fills the room and brings a smile the face of everyone who hears it. She also laughs at mommy & daddy all the time.
– Does this really cute thing where she puts the back of both of her hands over her eyes when she gets really tired. She’s a drama queen, already.
– Has started trying to copy us when we make funny noises and faces.
– Is a really cute sleeper. BUT she doesn’t sleep very well during the day. She’s getting better at sleeping through the night, but during the day she wants to be awake and interacting with everyone for the most part.
– Started sitting up on her own on Saturday, February 7th (2 days before she turned 6 months old)! She looks like such a big girl when she sits up and reaches for her toys!
-Is a little cuddle bug and really really loves when she gets to snuggle up in mommy and daddy’s bed.
– Has her ears pierced! She got them pierced on January 17th while her Aunt Kassidy was visiting us in South Carolina. She handled it like such a champ.
– Loves animals. Stuffed animals, real animals, pictures of animals, everything. She just LOVES them! She smiles and giggles when she sees them. She has a plush frog toy she loves to hold whenever we’re home. She’s also met several dogs who love to give her kisses and she just pets them (AKA pulls their hair) and laughs.
– Is a morning person! She doesn’t wake up in the morning crying. Instead, we usually hear her cooing and babbling in her crib and when we walk in to get her she gives us the biggest smile. Mornings with Paisley are the sweetest!
– Wears 0-3 month clothes and can fit into some 3-6 months (they’re just too long on her still, but I’m sure she’ll be wearing them in no time).
– Has some cute nicknames. Mommy calls her monkey moo moo, Grandma Deb and Pokey call her Paigie, daddy calls her monster and little one. She’s bound to have lots of nicknames as the years go by.
– Has lost a lot of her hair. She was born with a full head of strawberry blonde hair and now the majority of her hair is found only on the top of her head! Still cute as a button but I’m really excited for her hair to eventually grow back.
– Is doing so well eating her baby food. She loves bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, apples, and pears. The only thing she has tried that she didn’t care for were peaches.
Our photoshoot this month was filled with lots of giggles, smiles, silly faces, and big belly laughs. (Even more so than usual – Enjoy!)
Happy half birthday, little one. We love you so much!!
You know those moms who always refer to their children’s ages in months? I’m not talking about that mom who tells you she has a 3 month-old baby. I’m referring to the moms who say they have a “34 month-old” or a “28 month-old.” I used to get so annoyed when I heard moms say comments like that. I would always think to myself “Oh, so you mean they’re 2 and a half years old? Or…almost 3 years old?!” No, those kids’ ages are still in MONTHS. Now that I’m a mom, I totally get it.
When Paisley was born I kept track of how many hours old she was. Call me crazy, but I did. Naturally, those “hours old” then became “days old” and then before we knew it, “weeks old.” Oh man, when I had to make the transition from “weeks old” to “months old” I almost lost it. I remember talking to my husband about how I was never going to stop telling everyone Paisley’s age in weeks. I would start a new trend if I had to, but I wasn’t going to say the word “month” after her age. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. All of a sudden those moms who tell you their toddlers ages in months don’t seem so bad, right!? (Don’t worry – that trend didn’t last too long!)
This month, on February 9th, our “little” baby will be 6 months old. 26 weeks old. 184 days old. 4,416 hours old. Even if I didn’t realize it at the time, I truly am thankful to God for every single one of those hours.
Every hour spent soothing a crying baby who was wide awake in the middle of the night.
Every hour spent trying to work on homework or study only to be distracted by a cute little baby staring back at me.
Every hour spent at various doctors’ appointments and casting appointments.
Every hour spent crying because I was an overwhelmed new mom who felt like I didn’t know what I was doing.
Every hour spent cuddling with this precious miracle God gave to me.
Every hour spent watching my husband be the best dad he can possibly be to our little girl.
Every hour spent ignoring everyone’s advice to “sleep when she sleeps” so we could just stare at her in admiration and love on her.
Every hour spent praying for Paisley and about the responsibility of being a mommy to this precious girl.
Every hour spent wondering how my baby was doing at daycare when I should have been paying attention in class.
Every hour spent with sweet family and friends who helped us immensely when Paisley was first born.
Every hour spent on the phone with my mom asking 1,000 questions about newborns and milestones and everything else you can think of.
Every hour spent just trying to figure out how to function during the day when we were only getting 2 hours of sleep each night.
Every hour spent ultimately loving being a mommy to this amazing gift from God.
Forgive me if I refer to her age in months for the rest of her life. Yup, I’m going to be THAT mom. (Okay, okay… I won’t do that. Well, at least not out loud)
In all seriousness, I can’t believe she is going to be six months old soon. Wow.
Time really does fly by.
Now I get it.
Yes, I’m still pregnant…BUT I’m only 3 days away from my due date!! This pregnancy has been great and I’ve really loved (almost) every minute of it. That being said, I’m also really, REALLY hoping this pregnancy update will be my last one before little miss Paisley gets here! I am beyond excited to meet this sweet baby and to be her mommy!!
What’s new the past couple of weeks:
– Last week some ladies from my church had a beautiful brunch for me and I had the opportunity to meet and talk to several other mommas from our church. It was so sweet and we had such a great time!
– My mom and my sister are here! It’s been wonderful having them in South Carolina with me instead of all the way in Florida! I’m so thankful they can be here during this time.
– A lot of my anxiety about labor and delivery has subsided. I’ve been talking to a lot of great friends and different people about it and at this point I feel like my excitement for finally meeting Paisley outweighs the fear or anxiety I could possibly have regarding the delivery itself.
– This week has been pretty rough. Let me just tell you right now – back labor is TERRIBLE. That’s all I’m going to say about that. Thankfully, I’m back to feeling myself again and the past 2 days I’ve felt GREAT!
– I’ve been able to get lots of rest the past couple of days/nights so I’m hoping that when baby girl does decide to arrive I will be well-rested and ready to go!
– Walking, walking, walking. That’s another thing we’ve been doing a lot of the past couple of days!
– Gus’ leave starts August 3rd and he will be home with us until August 20th!! I am very excited and beyond grateful.
– I’ve eaten about 4 pineapples. FOUR WHOLE PINEAPPLES. I no longer believe that they naturally induce labor.
We are SO excited to meet our little girl very, very soon.
Baby at 37 weeks
Baby at 38 weeks!
I’m so excited for Gus to be a daddy!
Our lives are about to change & we could not be more excited.
We can’t wait to finally hold you in our arms, Paisley!!! Now just get here, little one!
It’s exactly 3 weeks until my due date! THREE WEEKS.
I can’t fully wrap my mind around the fact that in about 3 weeks our lives will change completely & we will have a little baby joining our family. We are beyond excited.
Everyone keeps asking me “So are you ready?”
My answer: Yes and no.
That’s a pretty loaded question, honestly…
– I’m beginning to get very anxious about labor and delivery. I feel like anyone who says they’re not at least a little nervous about it is either crazy or lying. It’s slightly terrifying. I LOVE it from a student nurse’s perspective, but now that I’m the delivering patient it’s a completely different feeling.
– Even though I may have my birth plan, I’m fully aware that deliveries don’t always go as planned and this makes me nervous.
– I’m actually going to miss being pregnant. I’ve loved it. I love every little kick I feel. I love feeling her hiccup. I love people touching my belly and getting excited when they see that I’m expecting & I love the conversations that typically follow. I haven’t been uncomfortable (with the exception of the first trimester and probably 1 or 2 days since) and being pregnant in the summer hasn’t even been bad at all! I feel like it’s probably because I’m so used to Florida summers that this summer in Greenville has been a piece of cake.
– I don’t think anyone can be fully prepared for parenthood. In fact, I know that you really can’t be. It is going to be the biggest responsibility I can possibly think of. I just want to be the best mommy I possibly can be to this sweet baby God has entrusted us with and a part of me is scared that I won’t do a good job. I just know it’s going to be hard.
– It’s all so new for us. Obviously, we’ve never been parents. We don’t exactly know what we’re doing and we have a lot to learn as we go through this journey together.
– Her nursery is done! It’s everything I could’ve hoped for. I’ll share pictures on the blog eventually – I absolutely love it!
– The diaper bag is packed and ready to go. (Of course, adorable newborn outfits and accessories included!!)
– Our hospital bag is pretty much packed!
– We had a beautiful baby shower in Florida with our family and friends a couple of weeks ago and we received everything we could possibly need for our baby girl. (Thank you again to everyone who came and made it so special – and thanks mom, Becky, and Crystal for putting it all together!!)
– The carseat is installed and the base is already in the car. (We also already put up the window shade and little mirror – can you tell we’re a little excited?)
– We took a childbirth class together. That was a blast. It was pretty long (from 9-4 on a Saturday) but it was very informative and we really enjoyed it.
– We toured the labor and delivery unit at the hospital! It is such a beautiful facility and the nurses and doctors are phenomenal. I’m really excited about our hospital choice.
– All of her little outfits and clothes are sorted, organized, and put away. This little girl is spoiled already. Believe it or not, she owns more outfits and accessories than her mommy does!!!
– Her bassinet is set up in our bedroom. (Thanks again to my amazing nursing class – such a sweet gift from some of my favorite people!)
– I am ready for her arrival to make Gus a daddy, Kassidy an Aunt, my mom a Grandma, and my dad a grandpa. She’ll also make Gus’ parents grandparents for the 22nd time! It’s just a really exciting time for a lot of the people I love.
Overall, even though there are little things I’m nervous about and I may not feel completely prepared for, I am just so excited to be a mommy to this little baby girl I’ve bonded with over the past 9 months. I can’t wait until we can finally hold her in our arms and love on her.
Baby belly at 37 weeks
We love you, Paisley Grace! Mommy and Daddy are SO excited to meet you.